Thursday, February 4, 2021

"It's better to leave certain things in peace, just the way they are in memory: with the passage of time they become the mythology of our lives. I haven't even wanted to see certain people again with whom I had been more or less friendly in terms of time and place: schoolmates, childhood companions. You can't resume a dialogue that never was a real dialogue but rather a temporary complicity, the kind of complicity established among people occupying the same compartment in a train. Of course, if I had to go back and live on Palas Street in Bucharest, where I spent my childhood and youth, yes, I would do it; but to pay the place a hasty visit would seem to me an inadmissible lack of respect."

Reflections and Shadows, Saul Steinberg with Aldo Buzzi (translated by John Shepley)