Thursday, February 2, 2017

"'You know,' said Roark, 'I haven't thought of you at all. I thought of the house.' He added: 'Perhaps that's why I knew how to be considerate of you.'"

"'Well, look at it. Every piece of it is there because the house needs it--and for no other reason. You see it from here as it is inside. The rooms in which you'll live made the shape. The relation of the masses is determined by the distribution of space within. The ornament was determined by the method of construction, an emphasis of the principle that makes it stand. You can see each stress, each support that meets it. Your own eyes go through a structural process when you look at the house, you can follow each step, you see it rise, you know what made it and why it stands. But you've seen buildings with columns that support arches, false windows. You've seen buildings that look as if they contained a single large gall, they have solid columns and single, solid windows six floors high. But you enter and find stories inside. Or buildings that contain a single hall, but with a façade cut up into the floor lines, band courses, tiers of windows. Do you understand the difference? Your house is made by its own needs. Those others are made by the need to impress. The determining motive of your house is in the house. The determining motive of the other is in the audience.' 
'Do you know that that's what I've felt in a way? I've felt that when I move into this house, I'll have a new sort of existence, and even my simple daily routine will have a kind of honesty or dignity that I can't quite define. Don't be astonished if I tell you that I feel as if I'll have to live up to that house.' 
'I intended that,' said Roark."

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand