Wednesday, January 11, 2017

"'Dennis, I can't help it,' he whispered. 'Sometimes I feel like I'm not even here anymore. Help me, Dennis. Help me.' 
'Is LeBay there?' I asked him. 
'He's always here,' Arnie groaned, 'Oh God, always! Except--' 
'The car?' 
'When Christine... when she goes, then he's with her. That's the only time he's... he's...' 
Arnie fell silent. His head slipped over to one side. His chin rolled on his chest in a boneless pivot. His hair dangled toward the snow. Spit ran out of his mouth and splattered on his boots. And then he began to scream thinly and beat his gloved fists on the van behind him: 
'Go away! Go away! Go awaaaaay!
Then nothing for maybe five seconds--nothing except the shuddering of his body, as if a basket of snakes had been dumped inside his clothes; nothing except that slow, horrible roll of his chin on his chest. 
I thought maybe he was winning, that he was beating the dirty old sonofabitch. But when he looked up, Arnie was gone. LeBay was there. 
'It's all going to happen just like he said,' LeBay told me. 'Let it go, boy. Maybe I won't drive over you.'"

Christine, Stephen King