Thursday, November 24, 2016

best-quality deputy

John Lurie & the Lounge Lizards, "Show 122," Sunday Night (1989 TV)

"Anyway, ringmastering was for ringmasters, and I still had the bat cages to clean. 'You are so good with the shovel,' Zloty would say, tousling my hair. 'You are a true master. I would not deprive you of an opportunity to display your talents.' Sometimes I thought about the farm, the dirt-prod, the three unfinished mounds, but never for very long--there were so many bat cages.
That was six years ago. I think. ... I'm no longer a little girl, and I'm no longer such a sucker for enchantment. I used to dream of someday standing in the center of the ring myself, mesmerizing a hushed throng of ladies and gentlemen, spinning acts into feats. Now I mostly dream of a waterproof blanket, and mostly I keep my mouth shut."

The Pickle Index, Eli Horowitz