Friday, August 21, 2015

"peace to him, you are not those you imagine."

Last Tango in Paris (1972)

"That's how I wanted it--I like privacy...my needs come first. Still, I have here and there talked a little about my life: My father was a grocer; my mother, who helped him, after a long illness, died young. I had a younger brother who lived a hard and lonely life and died in his fifties. My mother and father were gentle, honest, kindly people, and who they were and their affection for me to some degree made up for the cultural deprivation I felt as a child. They weren't educated, but their values were stable.... On the other hand, there were no books that I remember in the house, no records, music, pictures on the wall. On Sundays I listened to somebody's piano through the window. At nine I caught pneumonia..."

Malmud, Bernard. Interview by Daniel Stern. "The Art of Fiction No. 52," The Paris Review.